Some colleges will either require or offer the opportunity for students to interview as part of the college application. Interviews are opportunities for schools to learn more about you and for you to learn more about them. Make your interview count! This is your chance to sell yourself to them. Think of ways to make yourself memorable to these interviewers. Ask questions that don’t have answers that are easily found on their website.
- Make an appointment for your interview as early as possible.
- Turn off cellphone prior to interview
- Dress to impress
- Introduce yourself, shake hands, make eye contact, smile and be friendly
- Be true to yourself. Know what you want to say ahead of time and think about the questions they may be asking you. They will have your application, so think of things to tell them that they may not know about you. This is the opportunity for both you and the school to determine if this is the right fit.
- Write a thank you note to the interviewers. Ask them for a business card, if possible.
- Do not have your cellphone out at any time during the interview
- Do not use language that may be offensive to your interviewer
- Don’t talk too much – Be brief, but explain yourself adequately
- Don’t slouch – look professional; they will be watching for maturity