What to think about when choosing a college/university:
- How would you characterize the majority of students?
- From what economic background are the majority of students?
- Are there clubs, activities or housing that are minority related?
- What do students like most about the college? Like least?
- Has the student government made any real contributions to the school? How do you get into student government?
- What political, social or academic issues concerned students last year? How did the administration react? What was the resolution?
Social life and campus activities
- What do students do for fun?
- What is the role of fraternities and sororities on campus? If I didn’t want to join, could I have a satisfactory social life?
- What are the dominant social groups on campus? Do the groups get along with one another? Have there been any problems?
- What role do team sports play in the social life of the college? What happens on football or basketball weekends? If I didn’t want to join in, would I find kindred spirits?
- Is there a good balance of academics, social life and extracurricular activities?
- What were the social or cultural highlights last year?
- What is the role of the campus newspaper?
- Is there an alcohol problem and, if so, how is the college handling it? What is the incidence of binge drinking? Do students feel safe on campus?
Housing and dining
- Is there something I should know about housing that would help me in my choice?
- What are the types of food plans? All you can eat? Vegetarian? Kosher?
Activity centers and athletic and recreational facilities
- What kinds of facilities does the student center have? Is it a magnet for student activities? Are there other hangouts?
- Do you think the college pays attention to its appearance?
- How would you rate the fitness center?
Health, career counseling, special student services and security
- Is there a doctor, nurse, psychologist or career counselor on campus? What is the waiting period for appointments?
- Is the office for special services adequate to the demand?
- How good is the security on campus?
- What have been students’ experiences with the library? Have there been complaints?
- Is the library well equipped with computers and copy machines?
The community off campus
What is there to do in town? How would I get there?
Academics and faculty
- What is distinctive about education here? What is the educational philosophy of the college? Has it changed much in recent years?
- Is the honor code working? How widespread is cheating?
- What is the most popular major on campus? Why?
- Do you think that students are generally enthusiastic about their classes? Do people talk about their courses outside of class?
- How would you characterize the academic pressure and workload?
- Are there research possibilities with the faculty? In what areas?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the advising system?
- What is the quality of students and faculty relationships? Is the faculty interested in accessible to students after class? Do faculty members participate in student activities?
- Are curriculum changes in the works? How will that affect my college years?
- Are there any departments being cut back or discontinued? Is so, why?
- Are there any new programs scheduled for the next four years?
Source: College Counseling Sourcebook; The College Board