Absence Clearance/Early Leave Policy
Only parents/legal guardians may clear an absence or submit an early leave request unless 18-Year-Old
Waiver is on File
To Clear an Absence:
- Option 1: Parents/Guardians can email email@example.com with the student’s full name, ID #, dates of absence, and reason for absence. If multiple absences have different reasons, please specify the dates for each of the reasons. Please attach medical documentation if the student went to a medical appointment.
- Option 2: Students may bring a written note from parents/guardians stating the student’s full name, ID #, dates of absence, and reason for absence and drop it off at the attendance office. If multiple absences have different reasons, please specify the dates for each of the reasons. Please attach medical documentation if the student went to a medical appointment.
- Note: For period absences in the middle of the day, or absences believed to be an error, students need to address the error with their teacher for corrections.
Early Leave Requests:
* Form MUST be signed for a student to leave early *
FORM MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS
- Option 1: Students may bring a completed and signed Early Leave Request Form (see below) to the Attendance Office before school starts [9:15 am (Monday) or 8:30 am (Tuesday-Friday)] and the student may return to the Attendance Office at nutrition or lunch to pick up the early leave pass.
- Option 2: Parent/Guardian may email a completed and signed Early Leave Request Form to firstname.lastname@example.org before 10:00 am and the student may pick up their early leave pass from the Attendance Office at nutrition or lunch. If the student is unaware of the early leave, please indicate in the email.
- Option 3: Parent/Guardian may come to the Security Booth at the Front Gate to fill out an Early Leave Request Form and the student will be summoned from their class. This option can take 15-20 minutes so please allow for this in your schedule.
- Note: For option 3, unscheduled pick-up requests cannot be accommodated after 2:45 pm. During that time, our staff is preparing for dismissal duties. Early leaves for after 2:45 pm will need to be submitted to the Attendance Office using option 1 or 2 above.
No Passes can be created for Sick Students. They must get signed out through the Health Office if they are sick.
No Handwritten Notes or Emails are allowed without a signed form, for Early Leave Requests. An Early Leave Form must be filled out and signed for the student to receive an Early Leave Pass.
Education Code Section 48205 permits a pupil to be excused from school under certain circumstances.
Medical, dental, optometry, and chiropractic services (Doctor note or medical documentation required for all appointments)
Illness at home (Doctor note or medical documentation required after 4th day of being sick)
Funeral of immediate family, limited to 1 day in the state, 3 days out of state
Religious holidays or ceremonies
DMV - Not Excused
College Visits - Not Excused
Personal Absences -Not Excused
Traffic - Not Excused
All absences must be cleared within 72 hours.
The primary responsibility of the student is to be in class to maximize his/her opportunities for success. Excessive tardiness and absences have a direct correlation to poor student performance and are detrimental to the learning environment. Parents, students, teachers, and administrators all have a shared responsibility to ensure that a quality education is the priority. Las Virgenes Unified School District attendance policy is directed toward achieving that goal.
Parents may review their student's daily attendance by accessing the school's website, www.calabasashigh.net, and logging on to the Aeries system with your student's username and password. Passwords are mailed to parents at the beginning of each school year. If you misplace your password, they are available with a picture ID in the administration Office.
Attendance Policy: Students may be recommended to a SARB (School Attendance Review Board) meeting if he/she has accumulated six (6) unexcused tardies or three (3) unexcused absences to a class.
Tardiness: It is the responsibility of the student to be on time for all classes. Eight minutes are allowed for students to pass from one class to the next. Teachers will make the determination regarding excused or unexcused classroom tardies. Exceptions will be made by administration decision only. A student is truant if up to 30 minutes late to class.
Truancies: A student is truant when absent from school or a class without permission of the school or parent. Truant students will be assigned hours of discipline and may be cited by the Sheriff. No make-up work is permitted when a student is marked truant. Students may not leave school without being checked out in advance by the Attendance or Health Office.
Absences: All unexcused tardies and absences will be dealt with in the same manner as truancy. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to notify the school by emailing email@example.com within 72 hours of an absence with proper documentation attached to the email. Absent students are not permitted on campus to attend a class, take a test, or turn in paper/homework. Absent students who are seen on campus are considered truant.
Absences, Excused: Illnesses up to 4 days will be excused with parent verification. If your student is out 4 or more consecutive days due to illness, a doctor's note IS required upon return and for every day after the 4th absence in order to be excused. Full credit in the class will be given upon completion of make-up work or tests when the absence is considered excused. The time limit for make-up work is one day for every day absent plus one day after returning from an absence.
Independent Study Packets should be requested prior to the absences if your student will be absent for longer than 5 days. (Independent study packets are in Administration Office)
Illness or Injury During School: A student who feels too ill to continue in the school day must obtain a pass from their teacher to report to the Health Office. Failure to report back to class or the Heath Office will be considered a truancy.
Make-up Procedure: Students should reach out to teachers to get the make up work they need. Students shall "make-up" assignments and tests during the time allotted by the make-up procedure. Students will have only one opportunity to do so unless extreme circumstances, as verified by the Attendance Office, cause further absence on the "make-up" deadline date. Make-up work shall be reasonably equivalent to, but not necessarily identical to, the work missed during the excused absence. Students must initiate this process.
18-Year-Old Waiver: In order for 18-year-old students to report their absences or an early leave, a parent waiver must be on file with attendance. When the waiver is returned and signed, attendance office personnel will call to verify that the parent/guardian has signed the waiver. (18 - Year-Old Waivers are in the Administration Office)
*Please allow 3 to 5 business days from the time the absence request is submitted to see an update in your student’s Aeries.