• Will all children with existing vaccination exemptions on file be required to file a new form once it becomes available?
    • Usually not. Children do not need to file a new exemption form unless they are being newly admitted into a public or private:
      • Child care facility
      • Kindergarten
      • Entering or advancing in to the 7th grade; or
      • Transferring from out-of state into California.
    • Children transferring from one grade school in California to another school in California and not starting kindergarten or 7th grade for the first time do not need to provide a new exemption form, as their exemptions from the prior schools should be part of the records being transferred to the new schools.

    What will the health care practitioner discuss with the parent or guardian?

    • The health care practitioner should discuss the:
      • Benefits and risks of required immunizations.
      • Health risks of the specific vaccine-preventable diseases to the child and the community.

    Are exemptions for religious reasons allowed?

    • Yes. A parent or guardian may request an exemption and speak with a health care practitioner regarding immunizations and vaccine preventable diseases. If the family’s religion does not permit members to get medical advice or treatment from a health care practitioner, the parent or guardian does not need to get a signature or information about immunizations from a practitioner. The parent or guardian must still provide an affidavit requesting a personal beliefs exemption from required immunizations. The standard personal beliefs exemption form includes a check box for exemptions due to religious beliefs.

    Who can sign the personal beliefs exemption form or other personal beliefs exemption documentation?

    • The following types of health care practitioners are authorized by law to sign personal beliefs exemption documentation if they are licensed and/or credentialed in California:
      • Medical Doctor (MD)
      • Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
      • Nurse practitioner (NP)
      • Physician assistant (PA)
      • Naturopathic doctor
      • Credentialed school nurse
    • The parent, legal guardian, or emancipated minor must also sign the documentation required to obtain a personal beliefs exemption.

    When can personal beliefs exemption documents be signed?

    The personal beliefs exemption documentation must be signed no sooner than six months before a student is admitted to a child care facility or K-12, or before advancing to 7th grade. For example, if school begins on September 1, the documentation could be signed on or after March 1 but not before. The date of admission or advancement is the first day of attendance at the school or child care, not the day of registration


    The following guidelines have been established and we ask for your cooperation in keeping all our students healthy.

    Students should NOT be sent to school if they have:

    • Sore throat, severe cough, earache, green or yellow nasal discharge associated with a fever or other cold/flu like symptoms
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Undiagnosed rash
    • A fever of 100 degrees or more in the last 24 hours
    • Yellow eye drainage with reddened or swollen eyes
    • Has an illness that prevents the child from participating comfortably in all school activities

    If your child needs to be excused from Physical Education, a written note from the parent or guardian stating the reason for exclusion is required. Verbal requests are not accepted. Any excuse for longer than five days requires a doctor's note.

    LVUSD Health Office Protocols

    Illness or Injury at School
    If a child becomes ill at school, parents will be notified immediately. If parents cannot be reached, another adult designated on the student's emergency card will be asked to pick up the child.

    Accidents which occur at school are not the responsibility of the school. Insurance forms are made available on the LVUSD website.

    Emergency Contacts
    Please provide the school with CURRENT emergency telephone numbers (including others who will take responsibility for your child's care) so that we can contact you immediately in the event of injury or illness. These individuals must live locally, be 18 years of age, be able to pick up your child if you are unavailable and MUST show a valid ID.

    Health Clerks
    The Health Office is staffed by a Health Clerk. Health Clerks are certified in First Aid and trained in CPR. They assist with first aid or illness situations occurring at school, but are NOT licensed or trained in diagnosis. Please consult your doctor for suspected illness or injuries as we are equipped to provide emergency first aid only.

    In keeping with the state mandates, screenings are conducted for all students in the following grades:

    • Vision – K, 2, 5
    • Hearing - K, 2, 5


    1. Students lacking current screening records
    2. Students being assessed for Special Education
    3. Referrals

    Parents of students not passing screenings will be notified in writing. Students may be exempted from screenings by annual written parental request.

    Students should not be sent to school if sore throat, severe cough, earache, colored (green or yellow) nasal discharge, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, undiagnosed rash or temperature of 100 or more are present. KEEP CHILD HOME UNTIL FEVER-FREE FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS.

    Students are NOT permitted to possess their own medications. Medications should be given at home. Ask your doctor if a prescribed medicine can be given after school hours, rather than bringing medicine to school. If medications (prescription OR over-the-counter) must be given at school, they will be accepted only after a "Medication During School Hours" form is completed BY BOTH PHYSICIAN AND PARENT (form available on this web page or in the health office) and medication is in a properly labeled pharmacy container (over-the-counter medications in original container-NOT plastic bags or envelopes).

    Cast, Crutches, Sutures, or Medical appliance
    Students returning to school after an accident or illness requiring a cast, crutches, sutures or medical appliances (ex: ace bandages) need to bring a written release (form available on this web page), signed by both physician and parent, to the health office before returning to class.

    Lice and Chickenpox
    Students returning after contagious conditions such as chickenpox and pediculosis must be admitted through the health office. Students returning after treatment for pediculosis must be nit-free. For more information see attachments below.

    Getting A Head Of Head Lice
    A Parent's Guide to Head Lice
    Lice Letter to Parents 

    Outdoor Education:
    Our 5th graders go to Outdoor Education in the spring. Packets are sent home in January.  All medication forms must be signed by parent and physician. Include the dosage and frequency, specified by the physician. We want all of our children to have an unforgettable experience. If you have any questions please call the Health Clerk from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Monday through Friday.