Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our Values: The Las Virgenes Unified School District is dedicated to being a welcoming and inclusive place for all. We are committed to promoting respectful conduct, equitable service, and celebrating diversity in our community for all students, families, and staff members regardless of:
- Gender Identity
- Sexual Orientation
- Socioeconomic Status
- Home or First Language
- National Origin
- Physical Appearance
Our Why: The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (D.E.I) work we are committed to doing in LVUSD make safe spaces for all our students where they feel they belong and can thrive. As a result, this creates leaders, change makers, and global citizens in our interconnected world.
Our Actions: We would like to share some of our continuous improvement efforts:
- Adoption of D.E.I Standards: In May 2021, the Board of Education adopted our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Standards.
- D.E.I TOSA: The hiring of a full-time Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Teacher on Special Assignment to support multicultural learning, policy and practices, and LCAP goals.
- Media Centers: LVUSD has purchased $250,000 in new books so all students can have windows and mirrors in their literature.
- Professional Development: Continuous and ongoing professional development for all staff on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, including a 3-step Micro-credential certification that staff can receive in D.E.I practices.
- Student Discipline: The Board has adopted policies leading to a restorative approach to discipline. Additionally, six Wellness Counselors have been hired to ensure that students of high need receive the highest levels of social-emotional and mental health support.