Medication Administration Policy
We updated our medication administration procedure to be compliant with the CCR Title 5 regulations on Administering Medication to Students During the School Day as pursuant to the California State Board Education Code Section 49423.6. Effective immediately, we can no longer accept medications, including over-the-counter medications, in unlabeled containers or plastic baggies. Please read the following procedure for delivering student medications to the school.
1. All medications, including over-the-counter medications, must be delivered in the original pharmacy-labeled or manufacturer's container. Medications can only be dispensed from properly labeled containers.
2. We will no longer give a one-day grace period for administering medications delivered in unlabeled containers.
3. The Authorization for Medications to be Taken During School Hours form must be completed by a parent and the child's physician and submitted to the health office with the medication.
4. Instructions on administering medications must include the dosage, frequency and time of administration. Instructions to "follow package directions"will not be accepted.
5. Medications that are controlled substances, such as Ritalin and Adderall, will be counted and documented when delivered to the health office. The health clerk will notify you when additional medication is needed. Refills brought to the school must also be delivered in pharmacy-labeled containers. Medications cannot be transferred between containers.
6. If the date on any medication is expired or the prescription is more than one year old, the medication will not be accepted.
7. For the health and safety of all students, medications are not to be sent with students. Parents, or adult designee, are required to deliver and pick up medications from the health office.
We appreciate your cooperation with the above guidelines to ensure the safety of our students. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact one of our District School Nurses at 818-880-4000, extension 341.