Mathematics Department Mission Statement:
It is the mission of the Alice C. Stelle Middle School mathematics department through the coordinated efforts of its faculty to provide a program such that all students will be inspired to achieve and excel in the highest level of math possible. The goal of the mathematics department is to maintain our high standards and expectations by teaching the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The rigor and relevance of the CCSS will enable our students to be prepared for their lives and careers in a technological world and global economy. We will emphasize active learning, writng and talking math, using critical thinking skills in problem solving and using tools as we deem appropriate, which include but are not limited to calculators and computers. Our students will be fluent in their mathematical skills and challenged to use mathematics in meaningful and relevant ways.
We will use the Mathematical Practices in our teaching. These are:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Click a teacher's name to access his/her website. Click the email address to contact him/her via email.