6th Grade Electives - 2021-2022
ONLINE GOOGLE SIGN-UP IS CLOSED
PLEASE EMAIL OUR REGISTRAR/COUNSELING SECRETARY JULIE MOHR firstname.lastname@example.org WITH ANY QUESTIONS
A primary goal of middle school is to provide students with a smooth transition from elementary school to high school. Middle school students take a required academic program in Language Arts, Social Science, Mathematics, Science, and Physical Education. Most students also have the opportunity to select one elective from the below options. Due to certain scheduling situations, (IEP requirements, core academic course placements) students may not be able to receive their preferred elective.
21st CENTURY LEADERSHIP (previously known as Gen Tech): This course is designed to introduce students to the skills, values, and experience that will help them succeed in the digital world. Through both individual projects and school service projects, students learn to maintain technology, create digital content and provide training. Student-driven curriculum will develop critical thinking skills, communication, business organization, leadership and technical skills.
YEARBOOK – This class is open to select 6th , 7th, and 8th grade students. Using a unique and specialized online computer program, students will design the Lindero Canyon Middle School yearbook and the yearbook video. They will also take photographs, create original artwork, and participate in Leadership events throughout the year. Students with an interest or ability in creative writing, journalism, photography, art, layout design, or computer skills are encouraged to select this elective. This is a great way to become involved in all the school activities and events, and is a good foundation for working on the yearbook in high school. Students should have good organization skills, be reliable, able to work in groups, take direction, and have the ability to work independently.
YEAR-LONG MUSIC PROGRAMS:
- Beginning Band - For students with no previous, or less than one academic year of experience with band instruments: woodwinds, percussion, and brass (ability to play piano not applicable). Open to all grade levels.
- Cougar Band - Cougar Band is for intermediate levels of playing ability. Acceptance into Cougar Band is based on recommendation of the director. Participation in several scheduled evening performances is a course requirement.
- Beginning Strings - For students with little or no previous experience with stringed instruments. Students play violin, viola, cello, or bass. Open to all grade levels.
- Cougar Strings is for intermediate levels of playing ability. Acceptance into Cougar Strings is based on recommendation of the director. Participation in several scheduled evening performances is a course requirement.
- Concert Choir - This class is open to all grade levels. Students will learn beginning and intermediate vocal techniques, correct breathing, tone production, and how to read music. Concert Choir is a performing group that will sing all types of music such as pop, rock, Disney, and light classics. Participation in several scheduled evening performances is a course requirement.
EXPLORATORY PROGRAM - A series of classes designed to expose the student to a variety of enrichment topics and new experiences. Periodically throughout the school year students rotate as a group to the next class. Students remain with their classmates throughout the rotations. Exploratory classes include the topics indicated below and are open only to sixth graders. The Exploratory Program includes ART, ECA (Early College Academy), MUSIC, INTRO TO SPANISH, and STEAM. Rotation class descriptions:
- ART- This class exposes students to the elements of art and principles of design. Students are encouraged to explore a variety of mediums such as oil pastels, watercolors, pencil, acrylics and plaster. Fun and exploration are the focus as students learn techniques and skill while discovering artists and the world of art.
- ECA (Early College Academy) 6TH GRADE - This class is based on AVID strategies that help students to become both high school and college ready. It will address topics ranging from exploring work habits, time management strategies, organizational skills (personal and digital), and communication/collaboration skills to help students succeed in middle school and beyond. These essential skills can boost achievement across all areas of curriculum and build good academic behaviors. Students will learn to self-monitor their academic progress and learn skills to effectively communicate with peers, teachers, and other school staff.
- MUSIC - Exploratory music teaches students basic concepts of music, including pulse, rhythm, pitch, dynamics and tempo. It also teaches signs, symbols and terms found in music and how to read a musical program (such as is found at a classical music event). Students are also exposed to major classical composers and their works. The emphasis is on having fun and learning for the innate joy of accomplishment and knowledge.
- INTRODUCTION TO SPANISH LANGUAGE - This course teaches the basic foundations of Spanish.
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) - This class provides sixth grade students with experiences involving science, technology, engineering, art and math. Exploratory STEAM introduces keyboard typing skills (speed and consistency), introduction to HTML coding on Codesters.com, creating tension toys, experiment with buoyancy and fluid dynamics, designing and modeling using SketchUp or Minecraft, and introduces building robots with VEX Robotics.
ZERO PERIOD PE CLASS REQUEST - Should we offer a Zero Period PE class some students would have the opportunity to add a second elective. This means the student would have an additional class period with the schedule starting at 7:42 am and continuing until the end of the school day. Note: There are a limited number of spots available in this class.