At Las Virgenes Unified School District we are committed to conserving our natural resources and serving as a model to our community. At home, in our community and at school we strive to reduce, reuse and recycle, thereby limiting the impact on our earth and creating a sustainable environment. To that end, Las Virgenes Unified Schools recommends the following “green” measures listed below and at left to help us reach our goal of a green, environmentally-friendly school environment.
For parents who are interested in becoming involved with our Green Initiative, please consider joining the District's Environmental Stewardship Committee. For information, please contact Kelly Beder at firstname.lastname@example.org
Waste-Free Lunch Policy
Together our sustainability commitments will have a positive and powerful impact on our environment
Families are requested to:
- Use a reusable lunch box and food containers (avoid plastic baggies and single-use
- Use a refillable water bottle (avoid juice boxes and plastic bottles)
- Use reusable utensils and napkins (avoid plastic and paper)
- Take any waste from a packed lunch home each day
- Sort waste from “hot lunch” in appropriate bins
LAS VIRGENES IS A WASTE-FREE LUNCH DISTRICT
THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING OUR STUDENTS & THE PLANET
Parent and student have reviewed and acknowledge receipt of this policy
No Idle Zone Policy
Together our sustainability commitments will have a positive and powerful impact for our students
- Idling is linked to increased rates of asthma, decreased lung function, cancer and other serious health
problems. Asthma is the most common chronic illness among young people.
- Students’ lungs are still developing and at greater risk of developing health problems when exposed to
elevated levels of pollutants.
- One minute of idling puts more carbon monoxide into the air than smoking three packs of cigarettes
- It takes ten seconds worth of fuel to re-start a car (so if it is longer than that, it is better fuel efficiency
to turn your car off!)
In Las Virgenes, the School Zone is a “NO IDLE ZONE”
1. All those dropping off and picking up students from school are expected to turn of vehicle engines when
waiting for longer than 30 seconds.
2. Families are encouraged to carpool, walk or bike with students when possible to avoid congestion at/or
LAS VIRGENES IS A “NO IDLING” DISTRICT
LVUSD, a 2017 California Green Ribbon Gold Level Honoree